Thursday, December 01, 2005

You touched my heart, literally.

Today I went to the Gross Anatomy lab. That's where they keep the cadavers. Our Intro to Medicine class scoped out some disected bodies to get a different perspective about what we really look like on the inside. Let me tell you, we look like chicken. I will not be eating poultry for awhile.

As excited as I thought I was, I found myself quite disturbed at first that my teacher would just jam his hand into Jane Doe's torso and pull out her intestines. Have we no respect for the dead? I wondered if this anonymous woman had donated her body to science, or she was just someone with no one, and when she died they just took her (can they do that?).

I didn't like seeing the faces of the people, that was quite unnerving. It all looked like it was a cleverly designed movie prop until you saw the face. The entire room smelled terrible. I hope I don't have dreams about it.

My prof clarified that these people had all donated their bodies to science, so that made it a little bit better. I held a human brain, heart, and lungs in my hands. The brain was smaller and heavier than I thought. The lungs were spongy, and the heart was lighter than i expected. I also touched a colon (for personal reasons, haha). I could wax poetic about how I held the center of life in my hands, but it was all kind of surreal. I'm glad I had the experience, I probably wouldn't do it again. I'm definately NOT donating my body to science. I suppose I could start a debate about would it really matter to me or not because I would be dead anyways, but I'll save that for another time.

4 Comments:

At 1:09 AM, Blogger Zach G said...

Woah, that's totally rad! When I took a forensics class at OU we examined Mr. Henderson's body. Our prof actually boiled the meat and other tissues off his body in her garage in huge pots!! It was totally bazarre. He had no one though. The Columbus patholigist gave his body to her because no one claimed him... is that ethical?!?!?

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Gem said...

Sounds GROSS to me!

ha ha

 
At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

first, forensics at ou is awesome. tatarek is quite a lady. second, i want to donate my body to science. that's all.

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad
Birth and death..... The two most real things we face.Otherwise its all tissue in between.Thanks for the idea. I think Ill dissect my kittycat for X mas, Put some lights in her eyes and hang her on the ole tree for xmas. Well send the lower GI for some ole tyme guitar strings. Kitty has agreed to give her life so we all can enjoy x mas.Shes Felioness Ostentashasis Donateuos

 

Post a Comment

<< Home